Sunday, July 04, 2010

First Shifts

butterfly

The beginning of July marks a special event in the genesis of the doctor: spanking new interns work their first shifts as actual physicians.

As one of those interns, it's terrifying. And exhilarating. And exhausting. Once a lowly medical student, you've gone into the chrysalis of fourth year and emerged on the other side a butterfly who doesn't really know how to fly. Fragile. Awkward.

But very very pretty. (Just kidding.)

Some things I saw in my first two shifts as an emergency medicine intern:

  • thrown from horse, landed on head
  • psychotic patient becoming violent with family members (chief complaint was decreased urination)
  • vaginal bleeding x 1.5 months
  • abdominal pain in 18 year old female
  • drunk, demented old man fell down stairs, cut open forehead
  • neck laceration from broken beer bottle
  • firework exploded into eye - globe rupture
  • drug rash
  • accidental finger amputation
  • blurry vision x 1 week
  • generalized itching with a "rash" that was invisible to my eyes
  • out of percocet (x2)
  • facial abscess
  • urosepsis
  • dog bite

Could there be a better field than this??? (I will give you a hint. The answer is no.) OK, so it takes me a ridiculously long time to sew up a small lac (I had to put in some deeps, though). And to write a basic prescription. And to dictate anything. I'll get better with time. And those crazy, funny, heart-warming, smelly, sweet, fantastic patients will still be there.

1 comment:

  1. Damn, that's awesome for a first shift! I can't wait to hear your awesome stories about patients, even if I like my future specialty waaaay better :-)

    PS Re:globe rupture...holy crap, be careful people!!

    ReplyDelete