Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Window shopping: the art of medicine


For ages now I have wanted to decorate my dining room with vintage public health posters (mostly VD but with TB and other stuff thrown in, too). Thus far the primary limiting factor has been that I don't have a dining room. Why do this in a dining room? I don't know, exactly. Your average person probably does not find venereal disease an appetizing topic. It pretty much comes down to process of elimination. The bedroom? Even more inappropriate. The kitchen? Usually not enough wall space to do what I'd really like to do. The bathroom? Ditto. The living room? Perhaps, but I've got a bit of a different idea for that. And so on.

The secondary limiting factor has been finding high-quality, large reproductions of them. I've had seriously varying degrees of success buying prints online, so I'm a bit hesitant. I don't have the funds right now to frame them anyway, so I'm going to hold off for a bit. But that doesn't mean I can't look and imagine!!!

Take a tour through the wonderful world of public health after the jump.



Here we go:







2 comments:

  1. 'she looks clean but' made me laugh out loud

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?? Even funnier is that she looks a lot like my grandmother in a picture from that period. :-)

    ReplyDelete