Saturday, October 07, 2006

Breaking for the night




OK, I'm calling it good for tonight. I still need to review the developmental timeline and the derivations some more, but I'm feeling in a better place now. The exam isn't until Tuesday, so I think I'll be OK.

Random musings (shout-out to the Random thread!):

  • I love Project Runway. I adore Tim Gunn. And I love this PR blog, Project Rungay. Funny guys!
  • Liquor laws must be different down here in Illinois-land. I got offered wine samples at the grocery store today. That doesn't happen in WI -- I think you have to have a liquor license to do tastings of alcohol.
  • The word liquor is seeming awfully strange to me tonight. I actually looked it up on dictionary.com to make sure I was spelling it correctly. Every so often a word will just jump out at me and look wrong. Egg is especially prone to this phenomenon, I've noticed. Which is just bizarre, because, I mean, really, how the hell could you misspell egg? Egge? Eg?
  • During my study breaks today, I watched the WoW episode of South Park on YouTube. OMG, I was cracking up. It was awesome!!!
  • It figures that it's possibly the most beautiful weekend of the entire year, and I'm stuck inside. Sigh. (I can't study outside, I get too distracted.)
  • En route to the grocery store, I passed this huge used book sale. I promised myself I would look only at one table. It happened to have a hardcover set of Stephen R. Donaldson's Mordant's Need books, and since my paperbacks of them are falling apart, I picked them up. Three bucks, can't complain. Still need another bookshelf, though. At this rate, I'm going to need two!
  • Hooray for printers. I've gone without one for the last 5 years or so (I printed anything I needed to at school or on my boyfriend's printer), but that has proven to be an untenable strategy for med school so I broke down and bought one this morning. IT IS SO COOL! It's an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier. I got it for under $100, and it does a great job. I've noticed in the past that I don't necessarily need to scan or copy things often, but when I do, I really really really do. And in fact, one of my classmates coincidentally (she had no idea of any of this) called me tonight to ask if I had a scanner and could I scan something for her. It turned out that I had a digital copy of the document she needed so I could just email it to her, but I thought it was kinda serendipitous that it even came up.
  • Serendipitous is one of my all-time favorite words. I don't use it enough. I should work it in more.
  • I think the highlight of the PR reunion show was the clip they did of Tim Gunn's vocabulary. While I think the attention lavished on it was more a function of the other people's inadequacy than it was of any ultra-amazing properties of Tim's, let's face it, the man is admirably well-spoken and he chooses his words with precision and care. Anyone who makes the phrase "Sturm und Drang" sound natural and totally unpretentious wins my fanhood for life.
  • My boyfriend and I are in a better place, so yay for that. We really reconnected over the phone this week and I'm very happy about it.
Random picture: There was a really bad storm earlier this week here and trees were blown down and uprooted all over the place. This is just one of many that I passed by on my way to class, and I happened to snap a cellphone pic of it, so here it is.

I suppose I should go to bed. I have an early morning grocery trip which will get me out of bed in a timely fashion so that I can be effective the rest of the day, but none of that will matter if I don't manage to get some decent sleep! G'night!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:21 AM

    Same thing happens with me and words sometimes. Yesterday morning it happened to be "doctor." Doocccctorrr. I just stared at it for a minute and was like, Why the hell is it called that? At one point I was staring at it for so long that I didn't even recognize the word anymore. So WEIRD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that things are better with your bf!

    ReplyDelete