Sunday, October 29, 2006

Thank you!!

Thanks for the comments, people! It is kinda nice to know that someone is reading. :)

What a lovely weekend this was. On Saturday I decided that, abdomen exam on Wednesday or not, I needed a day off. In the morning I ran some errands and cleaned up my increasingly disgusting apartment to a level that, while hardly white-glove-worthy, is somewhat less biohazard-worthy. It was a lovely day so it was nice to walk around to the bank, the office supply store, the wine store, the bakery... it was almost idyllic. There's not going to be too many more weekends of pleasant weather so every one counts!

One of the nice things about living here (I can't remember if I've said this before) is that it feels like a small town in the big city. I almost always see someone I know when I'm walking around and, since I do like my classmates, that's very nice!

And then I took a decadent nap. Ahh, it was wonderful.

In the evening, I went out with some friends from class. We walked along the Magnificent Mile, window-shopping and enjoying the beautiful evening. We got some popcorn from Garrett's (they're a Chicago institution, and their reputation, I must say, is well deserved), walked around some more, went to dinner, and then had drinks up in the Signature Lounge in the John Hancock building. It was kind of a touristy evening but we all still feel a little like tourists so, hey, I guess that's appropriate. :) We talked a bit about school but mostly we talked about other things. It was really nice to have an interesting political conversation with someone I can respectfully disagree with. It stood in stark contrast to the vituperative discourse that has become the norm with the talking heads these days, that's for sure.

Today I luxuriated in the extra hour of sleep, which I needed after staying out until 2 am, and then went hard to work on anatomy. I've got a ways to go yet but the exam isn't until Wednesday and I'm pretty sure I'll be good to go by then. It's basically just a matter of continuing to review the blood supply and innervation... I have a good general understanding but sometimes I'm off by a vertebral level or two. :)

As of now, I'm officially halfway done with the first quarter of med school! In that strange way that time often has of flowing, it feels simultaneously like I just started and like I've been doing this forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment