Friday, September 01, 2006

New Digs

Picked up the keys (four, plus one of those RF doohickeys -- my poor keychain!) to my apartment today. It's teesy tiny but I think it will be sufficient unto my needs and it's a nice building in a convenient location and it doesn't break my budget so on the whole I am pleased.

Getting there was a breeze this morning... traffic into town was very light and even with the complications of getting off on the wrong exit because I was in the wrong lane and this jerkwad wouldn't let me over, randomly steering my way through Chicago in a vaguely south-easterly direction, and finding a parallel parking spot I could actually park in (I'm legendarily bad at that), I made the trip in 3 hours and 5 minutes, which is most excellent. (I owe it all to open-road tolling, I swear. Now if they would just finish!!)

In many trips, I wrestled the boxes from my car through the four doors, into the elevator, and down the long hallway into my place and eventually I did win. My stupid metal CD racks only crashed down onto my feet three or four times. I was pleasantly surprised to find more "furnishings" than I'd been lead to expect from my landlord, including a microwave, a coffeepot, and a giant fan. I'm a total convert to the whole furnished apartment thing. Especially since life seems to have been telling me for years to be less materialistic. My possessions tend to suffer from dire catastrophes like fires and floods. :( (None of which were my fault, even!!)

The fact that none of the shades roll up is relatively minor, I suppose. I'm fairly photophobic anyway. :)

I wasn't expecting much from the trip back, this being the start of Labor Day weekend and all. I didn't manage to clear out until 2 pm and that proved to be a bad thing. It took me 5 butt-numbing hours to get to Madison.

Please please please let the traffic be better on Sunday!!!

1 comment:

  1. molly! glad you're liking your new apt and that the CD rack only fell on you 3 or 4 times, lol.

    ReplyDelete